Peter's "Blast from the Past" proposal

FRC's latest news and information of interest to members
gordon
Site Admin

Peter's "Blast from the Past" proposal

Post by gordon »

Hi Guys,

Peter sent me an email a few weeks ago and I have just remembered to post it here for everyone's feedback. Here are his words, verbatim:
Gordon,

As I mentioned to you on the phone the other day, the FRC slot car drivers are some of the best I have ever had the pleasure of competing with over the years. In recognition of this fact, I would like to give the guys an opportunity to try their hand at Scalextric cars from the 60s and 70s fitted with silicone tyres and at least one magnet to make them a bit more interesting to drive on a digital track.

I am looking at preparing three or four types of cars for the guys to enjoy. When I come at Christmas I plan to bring at least 6 cars in each category, so that there will be enough cars for everyone to drive.

ü Sports cars and or Supercars from the 70s.

ü Morris Minis fitted with the Scalextric RX Motor

ü F-1 of the 60s cars fitted with Scalextric Powersledge Motors. These cars will have to race on a analog track as there is no tidy way to install a digital chip. We will have to find an analog track to race on perhaps the one at Skinner Park might be an option.
ImageImage

ü F-1 of the 70s cars fitted with Scalextric RX Motors. These cars will also have to race on a analog track as there is no tidy way to install a digital chip.

Please let me know what you think about this idea. If there is interest I will start work on installing F-1 chips, magnets and silicone tyres as mentioned previously.

Best regards,

Peter
So, please leave your thoughts below so that Peter will know how to move.

Gordon
steveaca

Re: Peter's "Blast from the Past" proposal

Post by steveaca »

I think the idea of racing these really vintage (as opposed to current productions of vintage cars) is really great. I'm not so sure about the feasibility of having to go to S/fdo. to race the F1 cars on an analogue track though, although I would certainly try to make it. Maybe if we could find a closer analogue track we could have a full event of analogue racing ?
ixwa

Post by ixwa »

Peter, I think it's a fantastic idea. Gordon, Carlene has not told me whether we are definitely coming for Christmas, but here is a strange thought I had:

If I brought my 6 car APB that does both digital and analogue, would it be possible to plug it up to FRC? I think it would involve:
- dropping in the powerbase section
- locking the straight lane changers (tape or magnets)
- isolating and locking the lanes on the curved changers (I can point you to the mod; does not affect digital)

I don't know whether you have the lane changers powered independently. If so, we may have to isolate them. Ifi can make it and the above is possible, we'd be able to switch from digital to analog without even leaving FRC !
Ray
steveaca

Post by steveaca »

Ray, that would be great. The only thing is that, if we race analogue at FRC, we'd be limited to racing two cars at a time.
Luke

Post by Luke »

Hello Peter ~ BRING IT ALL ON @ FRC :!:

How's the life on the other side of the world :)

Thank you for your approval with the FRC slot car racing drivers :roll: :D

Its very $$$$ nice & kind of you wanting to handle :? (18 - 24 cars) :shock: 3 to 4 classes of racing for the guys at FRC 8-)

I have taken up a personal project with my slot car collection - working on a full FRC Grid of 6 Ferrari F430 cars and must say that I have to take it one week at a time :roll: for an estimated completion time of mid November.

:arrow: All the best with your project, if you decide to go with it.

Going and have a early night in time for the Japanese F1Q @ 1:00AM LT.

Let me guess your time of the world - 7:00PM "Day Before"...?

Luke
ixwa

Post by ixwa »

Steve,
Yes, I thought about the 2 car analogue about a minute after I sent the post! We would have to run a bunch of one-on-one eliminations.... I guess that finding an outside track with at least 4 lanes would be the optimal solution.
rrc