We need another track...

All things related to racing at FRC
gordon
Site Admin

We need another track...

Post by gordon »

Hi Guys,

FRC has been around since 2008 and continues to run and be very popular amongst our little slot racing group. We saw a revamp of the track late last year and we continue to enjoy our frequent race events. I am always trying to think up ideas for adding to the challenge and enjoyment of our hobby and we have seen several new classes and types of events suggested and, in many cases, implemented over the months.

While I still keep thinking about new ideas and ways to add some fun and excitement to our events, the one thing which will definitely challenge everyone and raise the level of interest is having a second track to alternate our events with. Think of it. A completely different circuit with different straight lengths, different corners and different lane change locations. Wouldn't it be great to have to change car set-ups to optimise them for a different track? What about the challenge of getting our cars to go as fast as possible on a completely different layout, then changing back to FRC the following week? I'm sure all FRC drivers would love to have the opportunity to do this, just like our 1/1 counterparts.

Ok, so any of you have any ideas how this can be accomplished? I know that Jaf has had Perseverance International Raceway (PIR) under construction for over a year now, but with all his other interests and commitments, its unlikely he'll ever get it done, far less have the time to host race events every couple of weeks. Maybe if we can find a location, we can approach Jaf about purchasing all his track components, including the all-important modified Power Base.

What do you think of really making an effort to get a second digital track?

Gordon
BULL'S EYE

Re: We need another track...

Post by BULL'S EYE »

Does Debbie have anything to do with this G.G. ? You want to race every week, ent ? The woman really needs a break from you guys shouting......ah boy fellars. All Jaf has to do is allow us to finish building his track....at our expense and give us a set of keys for his house :lol: .

Show us where the toilet and Fridge are and we good.

Das all. Unless he want to take pictures of the track and send out post-cards.

Alex
gordon
Site Admin

Post by gordon »

BULL'S EYE wrote:Does Debbie have anything to do with this G.G. ?
Alex, its nothing at all to do with Debbie and I do want to race every week if possible. Its just my trying to encourage the development of a second track to race on. It would be great... this week we race at Sebring, next week at Spa ;) - lots more interesting than always lapping the same track. In fact if we could have three or four tracks, better still!

Gordon
Richard

Post by Richard »

I would like to see one "Down South" where the southern Lads can kick butt more often.
BULL'S EYE

Post by BULL'S EYE »

I would first like to introduce myself to Richard.

My name is Calito Alexander, sometimes called Alex by people that like me and can put up with me.......so most call me Calito.

I am the cheap one, if on race night I realize that I am ahead in points, I let one of the other drivers win a few races just so I don't have to bring ice next race meet. You see at FRC the point winner of each class is responsible for ice the following week. Times hard, besides those guys get really excited when they win and act like real A%SH$LE# when they loose.

Also I am the quiet one, so on race night you would never hear me shout. I also believe in the rules and that the marshal's ruling is final.
Also, not everyone can re-slot cars quickly and I keep stressing to the guys to be patient with those with short arms ( T-Rex type ).......and legs.

Ok now to racing, Sando racing sounds great but analog just does not simulate racing like DIGITAL........sorry. Speed like fire and entertaining I am sure but when you race DIGITAL it hard to switch to analog.

So keep in touch and hope to see you at FRC soon :D :D

Alex.............for now
Bless
Luke

Post by Luke »

My good friend Alex,

I now understand why, during a race you drive through the pits for no apparent reason.

Thats a Good One.

Please dont knock ANALOGUE Racing just like that. You could ask your good pal David "Boo" what he thinks about that. He is one of the guys I know will tell you other wise.

You cant compare your normal analogue home set to the huge scale Gordon has taken DIGITAL FRC Racing...

If I had the space/room (30' x 20') with a fridge, aircon, etc. to set up my track. Rest assured this could be your/our next racing track with a Race Management System.

Also, I think Gordon should surround FRC with some surveillance cameras...ent. ;) :lol:

Luke
bob d builder

Post by bob d builder »

Ok IM IT!

im starting the construction of a NEW track in SOUTH!
What i do know so far, is that it will be digital and ceiling mounted much like Gordons, and the same classes/rules will be used etc..

What i have so far:
Powerbase (modded version 2)
some track pieces and lane change and pit in/outs

What i need:
HELP. IDEAS.
firstly any help with a layout fitting within a 7ft x 6ft space or bigger would be helpful..

im starting a shopping list to get the crank assembly etc out of the way and i hope to have a table hanging in a few days... wish me luck!
Gordon, Kyle, Luke, im looking at u guys for your expertise and guidance.. and i have a spare room for Brent!

OFF WE GO
gordon
Site Admin

Post by gordon »

bob d builder wrote:Ok IM IT!

im starting the construction of a NEW track in SOUTH!
What i do know so far, is that it will be digital and ceiling mounted much like Gordons, and the same classes/rules will be used etc..

What i have so far:
Powerbase (modded version 2)
some track pieces and lane change and pit in/outs

What i need:
HELP. IDEAS.
firstly any help with a layout fitting within a 7ft x 6ft space or bigger would be helpful..

im starting a shopping list to get the crank assembly etc out of the way and i hope to have a table hanging in a few days... wish me luck!
Gordon, Kyle, Luke, im looking at u guys for your expertise and guidance.. and i have a spare room for Brent!

OFF WE GO
Great news Wayne! I'm ecstatic that someone has committed to building a new track. You have all the help you need as far as I am concerned.

The first lesson learned from the FRC experience is to make the table about six inches lower than mine when standing on its legs. What are the exact dimensions of your future table? Knowing this is the first step in coming up with a good design. Don't forget that you have to include space for driver stations. Are you planning on any elevations at this point? Maybe a cross-over section with a bridge? You can do a rough sketch of some layout ideas and I can do some scale designs for you to look at based on them.

Since we all know what FRC is like, it would be good to come up with something different in terms of the types of corners, if possible. You can look at the original FRC website for a little information on building the table and the hanging components.

So, in summary, here are the basic steps to get it... (what's the name of the track going to be?) going:
  1. Determine the exact size and shape of the table.
  2. Come up with a track layout design.
  3. Determine from the design what additional track pieces you need and order them (don't forget controllers too).
  4. Plan for jumper cables and order them one time (four will probably be all you need).
  5. If you don't already have one, order a hi-amp, variable voltage power supply, something like this.
  6. Work out the hoisting logistics and order the parts. I highly recommend that you go with components that can take much more load than the finished track requires. Better to be safe than sorry. I can give you specifics as needed.
  7. Build the table and paint it.
  8. Put in all the hoisting components.
  9. Build the track and add the jumpers.
  10. Set a date for the inaugural event and lets race!
Seriously... give any of us a shout to help answer any questions or make decisions and, of course, to come and help.

Gordon
gordon
Site Admin

Post by gordon »

Wayne,

I actually sent this picture to Luke via email last night:

Maybe you can do a 2-lane digital version similar to it. If you want some inspiration, check out the Tracks and Scenery section of SlotForum. Lots of stuff there.

Gordon
boo

Post by boo »

Hey. Guys, ,, & Wayne, glad to hear ur building a trak, well I think we sahuf all gt together & put d. Minds together, iin order to build another great track, I am leaving ton$ 4. A week, so I will be bak next Thursday. Very excited aboiut it. BOOO!