Race report #275 - Thursday Aug 8th 2019 (HS, APC, VS6075)

All things related to racing at FRC
gordon
Site Admin

Race report #275 - Thursday Aug 8th 2019 (HS, APC, VS6075)

Post by gordon »

RACE REPORT #275 - August 8th 2019 (HS, APC, VS6075)

Last night's racing was a real classic, as all the cars were very close in almost all the races, the only significant exclusion being Vintage Sports Prototype, where the pole-sitter was almost 0.7 sec faster than the second place qualifier, setting a new lap record in the process.

Prior to the start of racing, we saw the first official appearance of four BTCC cars, three Honda Civics and one BMW 125i. Anthony's Civic, which has previously competed in our Rally class, came set up for racing with silicone rear tyres, racing guide flag and a bit too much magnet for the class rules. Despite this, it showed great promise for how the cars in this class should run. The other three cars in box-stock configuration were fun to drive, despite a few teething problems. With fourteen cars registered to date, this is going to be a really interesting class!

Back to the racing, all the Scratch Built cars are getting quicker, testament to the efforts being put into tuning these little magless machines. The other classes - Historic Saloon, American Pony Car and the two Vintage Sports sub-classes - all saw very close racing for the most part.

Once again, it was a night of challenges, great driving and most of all, fun for all.

The drivers pose for a photo before doing battle on the track. L to R are O'Brie, Arden, me, Ramesh and Steve:

Results

Scratch Built starting grid saw Steve's Datsun Slyline take pole, followed by Ramesh's Porsche 911 Carrera, my Triumph TR4A, Arden driving Ramesh's Porsche 911S and O'Brie's little Mini Cooper:

In the practice session before the race, O'Brie's Mini has an off ahead or Arden's Porsche:

Historic Saloon starting grid - once again its only Capris. I'm on pole, followed by Ramesh, Steve, O'Brie and Arden driving another of Ramesh's Capris:

Action at Fosters as Arden's Bhola Capri lies on its roof while Steve, O'Brie and Ramesh go by:

This time it's O'Brie's turn to go upside down, with Arden being obstructed after the number 90 Capri went sideways, resulting in car-on-car contact and the ultimate roll:

Arden and O'Brie at it again:

Steve hits the Bridgestone wall as Arden goes by:

In American Pony Car, Steve took pole again with his Mustang Notchback. He's followed by Arden driving a Bhola Camaro, my Dodge Challenger, Ramesh's Camaro and my Mustang Notchback driven by O'Brie:

My Challenger goes sideways under the Dunlop Bridge, de-slots and causes Ramesh to stop:

Arden runs into the barrier coming down the hill:

O'Brie and Arden again collide, this time going up the hill. O'Brie's Mustang is left straddling the barier:

Looks like a regular two-way street as Steve spins on the approach to the Carousel and Ramesh goes by:

Chevy tops the manufacturer points:

Vintage Sports '60-'75 GT grid: Ramesh's De Tomaso Pantera on pole, followed by Arden in another of Ramesh's similar cars, Steve's Porsche 914/6, O'Brie's Ferrari 250 GTO, my Cobra Daytona:

First lap action at Fosters as all five GT cars enter the corner. On the inside lane, Ramesh is followed by me and Steve. On the outside are Arden and O'Brie:

Vintage Sports '60-'75 Prototype once again saw Ramesh take pole with his McLaren M8D, followed by O'Brie's surprisingly quick Lola T70 Mk III, Steve's Alfa 33/3, my Ferrari 330 P4 and Arden driving Ramesh's Alfa 33/3:

Arden about to go by an off-track O'Brie's Lola:

In a similar incident, Ramesh's McLaren is wedged under O'Brie's Lola while my Ferrari approaches in the background:

(How this is computed: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=393)

Congratulations to the winners!

Next event's classes: Class grouping B - Rally Car (RC), BTCC, Slot.It Challenge (SC).

Don't forget to see the updated overall fastest times and the fastest times by driver and class for 2019 to know what the benchmarks are for your cars, the updated class average qualifying times and the updated fastest times for 2019. Older stats can be found in the Archive area of the forum.

See you on the circuit...
Gordon
steveaca

Re: Race report #275 - Thursday Aug 8th 2019 (HS, APC, VS6075)

Post by steveaca »

Great night of racing as usual at FRC.
It is great to see the response so far to the new BTCC class and I was pleasantly surprised on my arrival at FRC to see Gordon and O'Brie doing some shakedown runs of their contenders (both Honda Civica) for this class. I promptly joined them as I had brought along my BMW 125. This class looks like it will be great fun ! Nice of Luke T. to join us and to take some laps in the BTCC cars to get a feel for them. Nice also to see Anthony and Seth with their BTCC Civic which was able to put down some really hot laps.
The racing in all classes was close and lots of fun. I had some particularly memorable, at least to me, battles with Gordon in the Scratch-Built class with my Skyline and his TR4 running nose-to-tail in positions 1 and 2 for laps on end and with Ram in Historic Saloon with our Capris running side by side, again for laps on end. In the end however, Ram managed to get the better of all other contenders in every class raced.
Congrats to Ram on taking victory in every available category and to Chevrolet on taking the manufacturer's title in American Pony Car.
Looking forward to the next event.
Steve
RameshB

Re: Race report #275 - Thursday Aug 8th 2019 (HS, APC, VS6075)

Post by RameshB »

Hi guys lots of close racing very enjoyable thanks to all who made its possible , see you all soon.