IROC Racing in 2017

All things related to racing at FRC
Luke

IROC Racing in 2017

Post by Luke »

Hello Gordon,

FRC scheduled racing dates (A B & C groupings) maybe for the balance of the 2017 year ...
  • A. Sep 21
    B. Oct 5
    C. Oct 19

A. Nov 2
    B. Nov 16
    C. Nov 30
Do you have any plans for an all out IROC special event :?:

Luke
gordon
Site Admin

Re: IROC Racing in 2017

Post by gordon »

Luke, I feel we should end the year with this IROC special event, possibly in early-mid December. In fact I've been playing with some thoughts about it. I'll post them once I have something I feel we should do.
Luke

Post by Luke »

Okay cool and I understood why post was removed from The Paddock to Racing but have to mention Gordon - knowing how FRC IROC racing events was only raced twice (MC & NSS) for the year ...
  • Thought it was Ole talk and things that don't fit anywhere else ...
:? :roll: :? :roll: :D ;)

Luke
gordon
Site Admin

Post by gordon »

Here's what I've been thinking about for our final event for 2017:

IROC and '60s GT Special Event

Classes:
  • IROC (number of races for each class will be equal to the number of drivers competing)
    • Mini Challenge
    • Mixed GT
    1960s GT (based on VS6075 regulations - 3 races)

For cars that raced in the GT category of endurance and sports car races from 1960 to 1969. These include (known FRC owner names shown in brackets):
    • Cheetah (Steve)
    • Cobra (Gordon)
    • Cobra Daytona (Gordon)
    • Corvette Grand Sport
    • Corvette L88 (O'Brie)
    • Ferrari 250 GTO (Luke)
    • Ferrari 365 GTB/4
    • Jaguar E-Type
    • Porsche 904
    • Porsche 911 (1965-1969)
    This is a partial list. Please again note that cars that were first raced after 1969 are not eligible. You can check any car's first race date at Racing Sports Cars.
Luke

Post by Luke »

Image by Gordon: Ferrari 330 P4

Sorry Gordon and just for the record (can't remember which one) but I either sold or traded my ...
Ferrari 250 GTO (Luke)

... and the "green" Ferrari 330 pictured above - I still happen to own :)

Luke
gordon
Site Admin

Post by gordon »

Pity you sold the 250 GTO. Unfortunately the 330 P4 is a prototype and not a GT car.
Luke

Post by Luke »

Sorry Gordon, wasn't paying attention to specific 1960s GT car instructions ...

Looking over your outlined listing ~ the Cheetah and the Corvette L88 were models I once owned ... and sadly don't have any other 60-96 GT slotcar to race ...

However there's more than enough time (hopefully) organizing something - for this upcoming IROC and '60s GT Special Event 8-)

Luke
gordon
Site Admin

Post by gordon »

Guys, what do you think of the plan for our final event for 2017 (listed above)? You have to start thinking about the Vintage Sports GT car(s) you might want to prepare.
steveaca

Post by steveaca »

Hi Gordon.
while your proposal is interesting, I don't have a car that I think would be competitive and would ideally need to purchase a car to prepare for this one-off event. I know you mentioned my Cheetah but this car was raced on two occasions, neither of which were under the current regulations. The layout of this car, with its front stub axles and guide blade mounted behind the axle line, is not ideal for low-medium downforce racing . I would try to get it competitive and race it if necessary but I think that we could also consider a race using cars from another previous one-off event, ie. the non-magnet class. What say you ?
gordon
Site Admin

Post by gordon »

Steve, if you don't have a proper car for the class, maybe we can do a no-magnet series of races as you mentioned. I would prefer that it not be a "formula libre" classification where any kind on non-open wheel car is eligible though. We can perhaps run it based on body types of any one of our classes, but with no magnets. If we do so what class would everyone here like? Here are the eligible body types:
  • HS
  • APC
  • VS
  • MP
  • GT
  • LMP
Or something else?