Two new classes for FRC

FRC's latest news and information of interest to members
gordon
Site Admin

Two new classes for FRC

Post by gordon »

Hi Guys,

FRC now has two additional classes. First of all, for those of you who've been living under a rock for the past two weeks or so, our Slot.It Challenge will start this coming week (Carnival week). Secondly, we now also have the regulations for a new Vintage Sports class. Get the details of both in the FRC Classes section.

Gordon
Luke

Re: Two new classes for FRC

Post by Luke »

Gordon,

Vintage Sport Class - The list of cars you have with Revel-Monogram and MRRC are they the only two brand names you are going with?

I am interested with the Scalextric C2970 Ferrari 250 GTO 1963 No.42

Luke
gordon
Site Admin

Post by gordon »

Luke wrote:Gordon,

Vintage Sport Class - The list of cars you have with Revel-Monogram and MRRC are they the only two brand names you are going with?

I am interested with the Scalextric C2970 Ferrari 250 GTO 1963 No.42

Luke
Luke,

I selected the Revell-Monogram and MRRC range with the intention of only allowing stock cars from a single manufacturer (in this case, two manufacturers who make almost identical cars) in the hope that their wide range of '60s sports cars would run competitively against one another. Even so, we still haven't seen how they will actually compare. There are at least three basic but different chassis designs that I know of amongst them. Quite frankly, as far as I am concerned, any car which is from the era and which runs with no advantages against these could be allowed. Mind you, having seen how well Scalextric models run, I'm inclined to believe that the C2970 Ferrari 250 GTO will out-perform the Revell-Monogram/MRRC cars, but we'll only know when we run them.

Here are my principal concepts for the class:
  • Cars must be sports/sports-racing cars from the1960s to early 1970s.
  • Stock (18,000 RPM?) motors.
  • Stock gears, wheels, axles and magnets.
  • Cars must be of similar performance (both handling and straight-line speed).
  • Tyres, wheels and ground clearance must reflect the dimensions of those used in the original cars, for example, no low-profile, extra-wide tyres (they didn't exist at the time). At present I am proposing the standard tyres which shipped with the cars (but they can be trued).
As I mentioned, we are yet to see how the different models perform against one another. Once we have some testing done, we'll be in a position to adjust the regulations accordingly and I'm not adverse to allowing some minor modifications for under-performing models (see Performance Matched Tuning in the tuning article I linked to here).

Gordon
Luke

Post by Luke »

Gordon - Thanks for info but I have to tell you the truth but nothing but the truth...I dont know if that means a green light or red light to buy the Scalextric Ferrari 250 GTO...

Luke
gordon
Site Admin

Post by gordon »

Luke wrote:Gordon - Thanks for info but I have to tell you the truth but nothing but the truth...I dont know if that means a green light or red light to buy the Scalextric Ferrari 250 GTO...

Luke
Luke,

I have had an eye on the same Scalextric Ferrari for some time (its in my shopping cart at HotSlots). Its a nice-looking car.

To give you a definite answer, I think you should hold back on it till we see some of the other cars and how they run. Nothing is cast in stone at FRC, so there will probably adjustments to the class regs and those may well allow the Ferrari. So, red light for now.

Gordon
Luke

Post by Luke »

No probs Gordon...

Thanks for the guidance.

Mind you - I may still get it because of the modelled year 1963 - the year I was born.

Your advice will help me stay focusd with the other 2 brands...to get the Vintage class going.

Luke