More on Goodspeed

Ole talk and things that don't fit anywhere else
gordon
Site Admin

More on Goodspeed

Post by gordon »

Guys,

I've posted about Goodspeed slot track before, however I thought I'd post some pics from one of their most recent events (Feb 26th). This first one shows that most serious slot racers (at Goodspeed anyway) are not young fellas/gals. They're more middle-aged to senior:

Looking at the picture, you can get an idea of their lovely 4-lane road circuit (as opposed to oval or figure-of-eight layout). I'd love to race on an analog track like this or even a six-lane version, although the latter starts getting a bit wide. These guys race every Thursday night like we used to till this year and they appear to have quite a number of classes (as we do), however theirs seem to be more for standard or close to standard cars, using the type of car and the era, along with a Magnet Marshal to differentiate the classes. Classes raced at this particular event were:
  • 70's NASCAR - 175 gram magnet limit - all Carrera cars (we have no equivalent class)
  • Contemporary F1 & Open Wheel - 150 gram magnet limit - Scalextric, Carrera, Ninco and SCX cars (similar to our F1 class)
  • Classic A Prototype - 150 gram magnet limit - all MRRC/Monogram/Revell cars (similar to our Vintage Sports class)
Their next event (carded for March 12th) will be for the following classes:
  • Vintage Grand Prix A - 100 gram magnet limit - Cartrix and Scalextric cars (we have no equivalent class)
  • Contemporary F1 & Open Wheel - 150 gram magnet limit - Scalextric, Carrera, Ninco and SCX cars (similar to our F1 class)
  • Group C (Premier Series) -175 gram magnet limit - any Slot it motor is legal - Slot.It, MR Slotcar and Monogram cars (similar to our Slot.It Challenge class)
They also publish a pic of the three podium cars for each class raced. Here are the ones for the last event:

70's NASCAR:

Contemporary F1 & Open Wheel:

Classic A Prototype:

I'd like to start posting pics something like this for our events and race reports, its just that we don't generally know the top three places in each class till the computer crunches the numbers. Maybe we can just take a pic of the first race grid for each class. What do you think?

Gordon
Luke

Re: More on Goodspeed

Post by Luke »

Three F1 cars looking like all-out Scalextric brand/FF motors - A Williams/Schumacher, Renault/Alonso and Ferrari/Massa ...

Note the neat idea with the (hard to get/replacement) nose cone on the Ferrari - a Honda/Jenson.

Its a cool quick witted quick fix for FRC's F1 cars ent :)
steveaca

Post by steveaca »

Hi Gordon,
I find the photos really cool. I like your idea of taking and posting a photo of the first race grid for each class.
Steve
gordon
Site Admin

Post by gordon »

By the way, I found out that Goodspeed has 37 classes!!

From their Facebook page:
The West Michigan Scale Slot Car Racing Groups main purpose is to have fun racing 1/32 scale slot cars while keeping the cost down. We have 37 classes for replicas of cars that actually raced against each other.
They currently have 81 Facebook members (I am one).