Next event - Gordon's 57th Birthday Formula Libre Event

All things related to racing at FRC
gordon
Site Admin

Next event - Gordon's 57th Birthday Formula Libre Event

Post by gordon »

Hi Guys,

Our next event is scheduled for next Thursday, the 17th June. That day happens to coincide with my 57th birthday (yes, I'm getting old). To mark the day I've decided that we should have a special event that differs from the weekly norm. Here's an outline of what I'm proposing:

GORDON'S 57TH BIRTHDAY FORMULA LIBRE EVENT AT FRC

Bring along any and all your cars (except the open-wheel variety). We will classify the cars based on qualifying lap times - fastest 6 run in Group A, next six in Group B, etc.

QUALIFIYING:
  • Qualify 6 cars at a time in 5-minute sessions (one session per car/driver combination - this means that you only have one shot at qualifying a given car). Since this is a Formula Libre event, qualifying will not be done by class - any car can run in a session. Note that qualifying sessions are not races - you can do as many or as few laps as you want.
  • Once qualified, cars will be impounded.
  • If a car requires work it must be done under observation. Any work done must not potentially improve performance (no setup changes allowed, just maintenance).
  • Cars will be classified based on times. Fastest 6 cars by driver in Group A, next in Groub B, etc. If a driver has more than one car that qualifies within the first six cars in a group, only the fastest qualifies and the others are scratched, with other driver's cars moving up to take their places.
  • Cars will be allocated points based on final group qualifying times - 9, 6, 4, 3, 2, 1 points for first to sixth. These points will go towards the championship in that group. This effectively means that qualifying sessions are races (against the clock) where the championship is concerned.
RACES:
  • There will be three races per class, 57 laps per race (giving some meaning to celebrating my 57th birthday!).
  • Cars will be impounded after each race.
  • If a car requires work it must be done under observation. Any work done must not potentially improve performance (no setup changes allowed, just maintenance).
  • Championship in each group will be based on race and qualifying points.
Now for the hard part. I would really like to have the time to do this event without rushing things too much. Also, it would be nice to know that we don't have to get up early to drop kids to school and rush off to work, so what about us doing it on Friday 18th instead? I'm already committed for Saturday, so that's out.

Let's have some feedback on the date and format ASAP on this forum.

Gordon
boo

Re: Next event - Gordon's 57th Birthday Formula Libre Event

Post by boo »

Hey gordon jus read the forum sounds like fun, if I am here I will definately be interested, for friday nite I dere.
Richard

Post by Richard »

I would gladly help you celebrate your old age with you Gordon - Friday is definatly the best day for me :-)
gordon
Site Admin

Post by gordon »

Just spoke with Alex on the phone. He'd prefer Thursday, but can go with Friday if necessary.
Luke

Post by Luke »

Gordon - I am good for any of the 2 days but I agree with you about Friday...

Luke
dougie

Post by dougie »

Gordon, thursday is good for me friday might be kinda hard as I have plans already...

Dougie
kyle

Post by kyle »

I prefer Thursday, but I will try to make Friday if that's when we run.
PEdghill

Post by PEdghill »

Gordon,

I Will be at home for the event this Thursday. For several week now I have been wanting to ask you about having a Formula Libre event Sorry I did not know about the event as I have some cars that would do well in that class.

See you Thursday evening.

Best regards,

Peter
PEdghill

Post by PEdghill »

Friday is fine I will be there!!!
gordon
Site Admin

Post by gordon »

OK Guys,

Its final... THURSDAY is the day. Fitting enough since that's the actual date of my birthday. Please pass the word to other fellow FRC racers who may not have seen this post.

Remember... don't only bring fast cars. You can only drive in one race at a time. Having a spread of cars with different performance will ensure that you have cars for many categories (Formula Libre A, B. C, etc.). No point in having a bunch of cars which qualify for A when all but the fastest will be eliminated. This, by the way, will allow us all to race those cars we never usually drive which is great, otherwise why own them?

Also, come early. We have LOTS of qualifying to do. I'll be posting a modified Timetable here later tonight or tomorrow.

Gordon