Quote from Race Report 8

Ole talk and things that don't fit anywhere else
gordon
Site Admin

Quote from Race Report 8

Post by gordon »

Guys,

Here's a quote from FRC Race Report 8, June 18th, 2009:
At Boo's suggestion, at the end of the scheduled races for each group we ran a third mini-series of three races comprising the three top finishers from each group, making for a total of twenty-three 30-lap races by the time we called it a night at close to 3:00 AM. We used the finishing positions of the final race in the two classes to grid the cars, with the Formula Libre group starting ahead of the GT group. For the first time it was agreed that the fastest qualifier in each class would get an extra point for his effort and this is reflected in the points.
Of note is that we ran twenty-three 30-lap races at a single event (although this type of thing was pretty much the norm back then) and this is when the extra point for pole was introduced.

You can see the full report here:

https://www.frcforum.com//FRC/Racing/En ... ort_8.html

It's quite interesting looking back at this history of FRC which includes who raced, how the races were run, how our classes evolved and several pictures from those days. Racing actually started in August 2008, however we didn't start keeping records of results till April 8th, 2009. You can see the Race Report archives here (scroll down to start from the first report):

https://www.frcforum.com//FRC/Racing/Archive.html

Gordon
Luke

Re: Quote from Race Report 8

Post by Luke »

Yes Gordon,

It sure was a large number of races in one night (back in those days) and remembered in earlier times ... I didn't even have a single slotcar chipped for racing and was always more than welcomed by you plus surprisingly sponsored a chipped car :D

At one time - there was a green Scalextric Aston Martin DBR9 car and if I could think back correctly ~ it was raced by me (only) for fifteen straight 30-lap races all in one night and interestingly enough, without a single issue to the car for that whole racing event. I was amazed how long we kept on racing for and it sure was a test of endurance because (today) not sure if I could do that amount of races again. Although - I feel it could be done if I try ;)

The timeouts were real cool as well because back in those days - there were not only cold beers but Martini drinks garnished with Olives all neatly prepared by Debbie :-)

I can't thank you'll enough G and D Gonsalves for all those enjoyable and relaxed slotcar racing days :!:

Luke
gordon
Site Admin

Post by gordon »

Forgot about some of the details you mentioned there Luke. Yes, those were some fun times. I'm sure we can have more in the future with all our slot racing pals.
steveaca

Post by steveaca »

Great stuff ! Amazing how times have been reduced since those days. What is also quite fascinating (and very entertaining to read) is the amount of detail that Gordon used to put into those race reports. Glad we don't race until 3 AM anymore ! I don't mind the odd late night/early morning event (we actually packed up at close to 2 AM recently, the night before a public holiday) but the actual racing should finish much earlier. It also helps when the next day is a holiday.
Luke

Post by Luke »

Gordon and others,

I remember when that idea extra point for pole was first introduced & all because FRC results use to show (every so often) the same score with the number 1 & 2 drivers. The inception of this idea (believe yours Gordon) was the ideal solution for a onetime fix of 1st. and 2nd. place podium in points.

Also not long before - I remembered when I made the suggestion that Hand Controller No.1 be assigned to the driver with the fastest Q/Time and so on with the other controllers.

That said and the rest is history - how these 2 suggestions (Gordon's and mine) were implemented made racing conditions run in a systematic way ...

Mind you - not forgetting (overtime) how neat and simple ideas were given by other persons ... and just to name a few ~ O'Brie, Peter, David aka boo, Alex, Steve, Arden and Ramesh ... helping to make things go according to plan.

The end result (most times) was always an excellent one and look how we have all made significant contributions to this grand and entertaining slot-car racing organization ..!

Which I am very happy to be part of 8-)

Luke