F1 "IROC" class

FRC's latest news and information of interest to members
gordon
Site Admin

F1 "IROC" class

Post by gordon »

Hi Guys,

Since I received a recent Electric Dreams newsletter email, I've been toying with the idea of creating an IROC class for F1 cars. For those unfamiliar with the term, "IROC" refers to a one-make class where the cars are all owned/supplied by the host/club/organiser. At present we have the following IROC classes:
  • Porsche Cup
  • Lambo Series
  • Ferrari Team Challenge
Back to the Electric Dreams newsletter, it announced a new line of F1 cars being produced by an offspring of Ostorero Slot called Allslotcar. The cars are all identical both in body and running gear, however they can be decorated to look like current F1 cars (and may even be offered as such). Here are some pics:

Kit contents

Fernando Alonso

Kimi Raikkonnen

Lewis Hamilton

Now I've looked closely at these cars and two hurdles have to be crossed to move forward:
  • I don't see any sign of a magnet (or a place to put it).
  • We have to figure out how to fit an F1 chip in there. Maybe in the centre of the chassis just ahead of the motor?
The motor is supposed to be a 22,000 RPM long can, probably with lots of torque. The project was also announced on SlotForum where you can see more pictures and get a bit more information:

http://www.slotforum.com/forums/index.p ... ntry739539

What do you guys think of having an F1 IROC class with these cars? They look a bit sturdier than the Scaley ones we race in our current F1 class. We can probably come up with a variation in the way we run the other three FRC IROC classes - let me hear your ideas for this below.

Gordon
steveaca

Re: F1 "IROC" class

Post by steveaca »

These cars look interesting for sure. I figure that there may be some space just behind the motor, between the motor and the crown gear, where a magnet could be placed. Don't know about the chip though, although I'm sure that our guys' creativity could deal with that issue. As far as the sturdiness is concerned, I don't think that they'll be much better than the current Scaley ones as that light lexan body wouldn't give any structural support to the chassis, as is the case with the Scaley cars. The chassis itself does look sturdier and certainly simpler than the fiddly Scaley ones to work on though. I like the idea of the class but am not sure if all the guys with their current carefully prepped F1 cars would want to park them to race these cars. Maybe the 'IROC F1' class could be an additional class ?
Luke

Post by Luke »

~ BRING IT ~ :!: :D
Luke

Post by Luke »

From the looks of (very potential) things with this brand ~ they could probably well carry different types of motor pods with magnet slots :D
arden100

Post by arden100 »

Looks good, however I am still trying to get cars set up for the present grouping at FRC. I don't think I will be interested inthis class at the moment.
Gordon what is your head count per class? I think before another class is developed you should look at the present classes and see how many persons you have racing in the present classes. If you add another classs do you expect the turnout to be bigger based on the new class?
I think we need to encourage all persons involved at FRC to be active in all classes. You have persons who races only club classes, this is when you have the best turnout. I believe you need to brain storm to get everyone in all classes you presently have.
Having 4 persons in rally class is not good. Also you have more or less lost Alex in the modified and Steve is not interestedin modified. There must be a way to keep persons interested or just keep the classes that you have the most participation going. I remember you having no responses to race meeting and then only having 4 drivers.

My suggestions are 1 find a way to get more persons involved.
2. Get all involved racing in all classes.
3. Cut the classes with least participation and bring the classes with the most participation around faster.

I Know this may be a bit off but how many persons are going to build for this class?
I think the focus should be on increasing participation in classes.

Just my thoughts.

Arden
Luke

Post by Luke »

GG,

On the eve of the 2013 F1 Chinese GP - I had to bring up this topic again because in a previous post I wrote "BRING IT" :!:

I personally will have to change my mind about that for this reason ~ Those Allslotcar RTR Formula One "1/32 scale" cars by Ostorero are ($205US a pop @ Electric Dreams) very up scale in price... :shock:

It would be great though, to race a F1 "IROC" Class with these cars because there are 6 different liveries atm - Ferrari, Lotus, McLaren, Mercedes, Red Bull & Sauber. Also, I am seeing room for a F1 chip and a barrel type magnet only, which means you will have to do more driving with this set up.

Although I still feel the problem is - sometimes the way some of us FRC guys race and crashing a F1 car, at this price will be very painful & cause one to fly off the handle :(

Enjoy the Chinese GP with your boy, Lewis on pole.

Luke