Shelf Queens.

FRC's latest news and information of interest to members
ixwa

Shelf Queens.

Post by ixwa »

Ok fellas, confession time! Do you have any? Cars that are permanently relegated to their cases? Not because they are lemons or non-competitive, but because of value, rarity, or love for the particular model? I'm curious.

Personally, I employ the same philosophy with my slot cars as I do with my 1:1 cars. They may look good standing still, but they are kinetic art. I drive them until the wheels fall off, then I fix them so that I can drive them some more. Some friends call me T.T.F. (Test 'Til Failure!) :twisted:

I "accidentally" got my first shelf queen a few months back, when I picked up the Le Mans Miniatures Audi R18 TDI. Lovely looking, but the mirrors and spoiler will break off if you just look at the car with both eyes open at the same time! Add a very heavy resin body and, despite Slot.It underpinnings, it's just not a runner.

I ask this question now, because I'm trying to build a class of late 60's F1 cars and I have the opportunity to get a Scalextric Lotus 49 Gold Leaf - Damon Hill.
http://manicslots.blogspot.com/2009/11/ ... us-49.html
These are now pretty rare: only1500 were made, and the current asking price is around $350 USD. :shock: I can get my hands on a new one for just under $180 USD, but this is way more than I ever thought I'd pay for a slot car. And the fact is, I want it to chip it (difficult and destructive work on a Lotus 49!). And run it. Hard. But I feel a bit of a how, knowing that this is as close as I might get to owning a truly collectible slot car. One good collision from the rear will done the tailpipes and rear suspension detail. I thought about getting another Jo Siffert Lotus 49 and repainting it as a Gold Leaf, but I can't even finger paint!

So as I ponder this, I'd love to hear your thoughts on collectibles vs. 'race-ables'!
Best,
Ray
gordon
Site Admin

Re: Shelf Queens.

Post by gordon »

Ray,

Although I love to try to keep my cars pristine, my main interest in our hobby is driving or, more specifically, racing. Years ago as a young teenager I used to build static car models from assembly kits and while this offered a challenge and some enjoyment and satisfaction after completion, its always been the slot cars that stole most of my attention, simply because of the extra dimension of driving/racing them (and making them run better), just like real racing cars. The "shelf queens" I currently own are really just slot cars pending preparation. I currently have a brand new Scaley Viper (I've had it for months), a slightly used analog Opel Astra which I am yet to chip and prepare (months too) and my Jim Clark Lotus 49 (several weeks).

Even when I get a "bad" slot car, I try my best to get it to run as well as possible but I'll admit that I have a few now which have outlived their competitiveness as the FRC guys get quicker and quicker.

Gordon
steveaca

Re: Shelf Queens.

Post by steveaca »

I think that if I had a really special, classic car like a Jim Clark Lotus, I might not want to chance getting it damaged in serious racing but I'd nevertheless like to drive it, maybe even against other cars, but just fast lapping. I've read that if you do this however, your car is no longer considered a 'shelf queen' as a true shelf queen is one which has never been driven !!