RUNNING IN MOTORS IN WATER...

FRC's latest news and information of interest to members
Luke

RUNNING IN MOTORS IN WATER...

Post by Luke »

I must share this bit of info with everyone ~ are you feeling :o :shock: :? all @ the same time :?:

I was, and have learnt so much (more) fixing slot cars @ FRC - Thanks to guys like (to name a few) Alex, Gordon, Brent, Nicholas E, and recently Arden.

Just when you think you heard it all - there is always a new one for that list.

Arden was the person who told me about this idea and to make a long story short, go GOOGLE it he said. I did, so check it out guys :!:

http://www.slotforum.com/forums/index.p ... opic=34859

Also, have to say I never heard anybody talking about this method for all the years I am racing at FRC.

This is REALLY a new one for me building slot cars.

I like this other idea the best though - You might as well run it in jello :lol:

Luke
steveaca

Re: RUNNING IN MOTORS IN WATER...

Post by steveaca »

Distilled water is supposedly safe as it has no electrical conductivity. I would love to try breaking-in a motor in water, it just won't be my motor !!
ixwa

Re: RUNNING IN MOTORS IN WATER...

Post by ixwa »

If you search Slotforum.com for the "dynamic scenery" thread (a guy was asking about moving scenery on tracks) I mentioned in one of the early posts that after seeing the original "Italian Job" movie, Njeri asked me if we could run our Mini Coopers through water. I got as far as thinking through some R4 banking in some type of recirculating tub so that (distilled) water could flow down across the track, then got to wondering if the fact that digital supplies AC current would be a problem. It was because of reading about breaking in motors in water that I thought her idea might be possible. Running a car (scrap chassis and motor) in water with DC (from a 9volt battery) and AC (I have two four car bases laying around- not going to fry my 6car APB!) current is on my list of thing to try this summer! I suppose I may even try a wet motor break-in when I get serious about building an FRC contender!
Ray