Race report #153 - Thursday 16th January, 2014

All things related to racing at FRC
gordon
Site Admin

Race report #153 - Thursday 16th January, 2014

Post by gordon »

RACE REPORT #153 - January 16th 2014

We had a great start to FRC's 2014 racing season with a turnout of eleven drivers, all of which competed in Mixed GT with six filling the grid in Slot.It Challenge. In qualifying, Luke B. was up to his old ways in SC by taking pole, but was a total surprise in MGT, ending up eleventh and last after de-slotting on all three laps! The class was divided into A and B subgroups with me on pole in group A and Luke T. leading off group B. Of note in qualifying was novice Jonathan who managed to out-qualify five others and put himself into Group A.

The night's racing began with SC where three drivers shared the wins in the five races. Racing was very close but the Bhola machines had the edge on the straights. The quickest cars proved to be Toyota 88Cs and Ramesh's Nissan R390 GT1. In the end a Toyota driver took the class win.

Our next set of races was for MGT (B), comprising five drivers and six races. This was another time when you didn't win a race if your name wasn't Luke. With two Lukes in contention is was anybody's guess who would top the results. A special mention should be made about novice Josh's three second places, especially when you consider that the two Lukes are normally "A-class" drivers that happened to end up in the "B" group. Marlon also did well to pull off two third places as did Ian for a second place.

MGT (A) had lots of action and an interesting fight for the title, with the first and second places for the six races going like this: Gordon/Steve; Steve/Gordon; Gordon/Steve; Steve/Gordon; Gordon/Alex; Alex/Steve. Third placed drivers included Alex, Ramesh and Arden, evidence of the close racing that unfolded during course of the racing.

Here's looking forward to a continuation of this type of driver turnout and exciting racing for the rest of 2014.

The results

Congratulations to the winners.

2014 Overall Class Points Update

Next event's classes: Modified Production - 5 races @ 35 laps, American Muscle - 5 races @ 40 laps. As usual, don't forget to see the updated fastest times for the FRC classes to know what the benchmarks are for your cars, the updated class average qualifying times and the updated 2014 Class Points Standings.

See you on the circuit...
Gordon
steveaca

Re: Race report #153 - Thursday 16th January, 2014

Post by steveaca »

Great start to racing in 2014 ! It was really enjoyable with a good turnout and keen competition. Congrats to Gordon on the overall win for the evening. Thanks to Ian for the delicious chicken and pork 'cutters' , Ramesh for drinks and others who contributed to the evening's liquid and solid refreshments. Thanks as usual to Gordon for hosting and for publishing the race report.
Looking forward to the next event.
Steve
RameshB

Post by RameshB »

Hi all, south team did appreciate the evening, lots of fun for all of us thanks to all for coming out , very good racing by all,,, thanks to Ian and Josh this was a nice experience for them,appreciate all the eats and fellowship , with Gordon , Steve , Alex , Luke and Arden. Just to note all are invited to tscc first test and tune for 2014 on sun 19 th 3 pm call Ramesh at 678 1920 Arden at 355 5980 just bring all analog cars and test them bye Ram
Luke

Post by Luke »

Congrats GG & I think we will all agree, that we had a great time racing and we also know that... Mixed GT is here to stay!!!

I dont think this new FRC racing event/method with the 18 (six 997s, F430s & Lambos) cars is going to be run as separated classes anymore or even in the near future. The 3 racing groups together, is Ah BLAST every time from its inception (25/4/13 .... Race Report #124) btw thanks to your idea and what's even great & exciting about it, we have so many racing options & variations. Example 3 - 6 Racing Teams, Groups A & B and so on, which is all dependent on how many drivers show up... Even the drivers would have the chance to come with some of their own good racing strategies, which even makes it more entertaining.

On a next note with those new guys - Ian, Josh, Jon & Marlon. I noted how fast they are catching on @ FRC and sure they are also learning how to become popular...

WINNING - You gotta to know how to lose first..!

I also have 2 things to point out or/ask you -

1. Class Groupings - Is F1 really 40 lap races now and not 35 like it used to be?
2. Q/Ts... MGT (A) - Did you and Steve really get that same time 6.492 seconds?

I could understand Alex & Ramesh's times 6.710 & 6.770 seconds but if its so for SA and GG - that's ah first :)

Luke
arden100

Post by arden100 »

Gordon,

Racing was quite enjoyable. I did enjoy the mixed GT racing which was a first for me.

Anyway i believe you have your regulations in order and this is where the battle begins for 2014.

Last night however I did notice we did have a minor issue. I honestly believe there must be some sort of professionalism on the track.

If a drive thru is called and the driver disagree with the call the driver should do the drive through and argue his case after, where it can be debated. If another driver or marshall agrees it was a bad call some sort of compensation should be given to the driver and the person who made the call penalized. Guys if we are fair with one another the drive thru will become a thing of the pass.
I am sure Gordon will agree with that statement.

The other issue is horse play on the track. When a driver intentionally impedes another driver he should be penalized. Horse play and fun on the track is only when everyone is playing.

If a racer notice something wrong with a competitors car and have an objection or query it should be checked and dealt with before or after the race. It was brought to my attention that one competitor car should have been checked and it was not. These are all small issues, but they play a big part in our racing. We don't want others to think anyone is favored or is playing or bending the rules to gain an unfair advantage.

Guys we all make a tremendous effort to fix our car and take time from our schedules to have a little enjoyment at FRC. We should respect one another efforts and be courteous on the track. For 2014 we should all try to show more sportsmanship to all at FRC.

These are just some point to make our racing more enjoyable.

Looking forward to Thursday. Look Out!

Arden
TriniSenna

Post by TriniSenna »

Gents
A great evening which Josh and I enjoyed tremendously..............as usual.
If I can support Arden on his comment with regard to Drive throughs. I had one called on me which I took but have to say it appears to be a very subjective thing. To be honest, I'm not even quite sure what are the guidelines for having a Drive through called on you.
I don't know if it's possible but Drive throughs may be something that the Club would wish to have "called" by a "Nominated observer / track Marshall" for each race. This person doesn't put cars back on the track, he simply looks and acts as "Race control".
Of course, his decision has to be final.
Thanks again to all and I have to give a special mention to Ram and Gordon who always take time out to give Josh tips and pointers.
Josh has his Semester 1 Final Exams this coming week so if there is racing I'm afraid we'll have to give it a miss for this week.
Cheers
Ian
Luke

Post by Luke »

Arden,

You have a very nice picture perfect screenplay in your mind with - Guys if we are fair with one another, the drive "thrus" will become a thing of the pass.

But quite sure you know, thats not going to happen in this world atm because you & I may be fair (others also here) and bet some one person (must have one in every neighbourhood) not going to be like that forwhatever reason they see fit and thats just how life is... ent :|

Do you really think Gordon can make this (Home Built) racing game fair & enjoyable anymore than it already is... it boils down to the single human element...

That said ~ Gordon once told me, the day FRC isnt enjoyable for him anymore... you know what that means, so its for us all to try our best to not let that happen.

Just in case you may think enjoyable means because he isnt winning as much anymore - you are wrong... not winning is fuel for his racing slotcar passion!

Right GG :D

Luke
arden100

Post by arden100 »

Luke,

You missed the whole point!
This also does not have anything about who is winning or not!

Arden
Luke

Post by Luke »

Hello Ian,

I like that word you used called "subjective" but wont go down that road 8-)

Here's a light reminder for you not being to sure what are the guidelines for having a DTP called on you ~ First check (which you may have already) FRC Class Rules & Regulations then GENERAL COMPETITION REGULATIONS and its under Stewards and Penalties you will read everything you wrote about and even how "Race Control" decisions has to be final.

Hope Marlon & Arden could read too... ;)

Also wishing Josh all the best in his S1F Exams and see you'll next time around.

Luke
Last edited by Luke on Mon Jan 20, 2014 5:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Luke

Post by Luke »

Doc ~ Whatever...

But must remember its only a Fun Track and not a battle field as you may take it to be now... and its my aim to just enjoy the racing whether winning, losing & even when scores are tied @ FRC in 2014 ;)

Your North Buddy,

Luke

BTW - How did TSCC 1st. '14 meet went down with testing and tuning?