Proposed FRC Scalextric BTCC class

All things related to racing at FRC
gordon
Site Admin

Proposed FRC Scalextric BTCC class

Post by gordon »

Guys, for some time now I've been thinking of introducing an almost stock Scalextric BTCC class, both for the close racing it should bring, as well as for having an active, almost stock class to encourage competitors. I have yet to think of where this class will fit in with our racing schedules, but I'm sure we can work things out for it.

Here are the proposed regulations:

Scalextric BTCC
For the following Scalextric slot models of BTCC cars (from 2015 onwards):

MG6 GT AMD BTCC
Honda Civic Type R BTCC
BMW 125i BTCC
VW Passat BTCC

In the interest of having individual liveries, prospective entrants must register the model and livery they are interested in with FRC. These registrations will be posted on the FRC forum. Registrations will be on a first-come, first-served basis. Once a car has been registered, no one else may register that model and livery and the registrant must produce the car within six weeks of registering. If the registrant fails to produce the car within this time, it will be removed from the registry and available for registration again. The original registrant may not re-register that model and livery for another six weeks.
  • Period: 2015 onwards.
  • Body: Windows may not be tinted - interior must be visible. Livery must replicate an actual BTCC car of the same model.
  • Chassis: Original Scalextric non-PCR chassis for the particular model. May be sanded for float (max gap 1.0mm).
  • Interior: BMW and Honda: Original for the particular model. May be modified as long as alterations are not visible through the windows (e.g. no extra holes cut in the interior pan). Interior tray bearing retainers may be removed. MG and VW: Interior tray may be replaced with black or black-painted vac-form interior or similar lightweight structure. Driver head/figure must be painted. Interior must cover the full cockpit area so that no mechanical parts are visible through the windows.
  • Digital Chip: Unmodified C8515 DPR chip and hatch. Chips may be randomly switched between competing cars.
  • Motor: Any FC-130 motor up to 18,000 RPM, based on manufacturer's specifications.
  • Gearing: Standard axle gear. Pinion may be changed.
  • Magnets: Initially, single stock magnet in standard location, with 1mm ground clearance using a setup block and 1mm gauge. If we get too much downforce variation between cars, we'll change to the Modified USD rule (see diagram below), where any installed magnets must be placed in the standard location for the chassis and stacking is allowed.
  • Wheels: Standard.
  • Axles: Standard.
  • Tyres: Type of tyre is free. Front tyre minimum diameter: 18mm on wheel. Rear tyre minimum diameter: 19mm on wheel. Rear tyre maximum tread width: 10mm (excluding sidewall).
  • Minimum Weight: 80gm.
Modified USD Rule:

Added 28/7/19:
See car reservations and reserve your car here:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1525

Perhaps we can run the BTCC class as part of our Group B classes:
Group B: Rally Car (RC), BTCC (BTCC), Slot.It Challenge (SC), Formula 1 (F1) (3 races/stages)

See the FRC Class Groupings for where the BTCC class will run.

The specifics of the magnet rule above are subject to change in the direction of less downforce, based on our initial tests with the cars. I do not want this to be a high magnet downforce class.

So, let's hear your thoughts below.
steveaca

Re: Proposed FRC BTCC class

Post by steveaca »

HI Gordon,
I very much like the idea of racing this class of car and agree with the proposed rules because of the simplicity.
Since the current crop of Scalextric BTCC cars made their appearance, I have been intrigued by them and have been tempted to get one. I came across a BMW 125 on e-Bay at a good price recently and decided to purchase it and only last week received it. It is the #7 GardX car as raced by Sam Tordoff (Scalextric # C3735T). I plan to fit a DPR chip to it and bring it to FRC's next meeting and give it a go.
I agree with your point about not knowing how this class, if implemented, would fit into our already full complement of classes but I'm sure , after trying my car at the next event, if others are interested, we could work out a schedule.
By the way, if this class is in fact formalized, I'd like to register my C3735T car.
gordon
Site Admin

Post by gordon »

Your car registration is noted Steve.
gordon
Site Admin

Post by gordon »

Increased tyre contact patch width from 8mm to 10mm.
Luke

Post by Luke »

Gordon,

It sounds like an interesting class and somewhat like the IROC racing cars.

The only difference ~ individuals will be setting up their own personal model to race.

I remembered a conversation (sometime now) you wanting to own a Scalextric Honda Civic BTCC car ...

Your wish came true :-)

Luke
gordon
Site Admin

Post by gordon »

Luke wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2019 5:15 pm Gordon,

It sounds like an interesting class and somewhat like the IROC racing cars.

The only difference ~ individuals will be setting up their own personal model to race.

I remembered a conversation (sometime now) you wanting to own a Scalextric Honda Civic BTCC car ...

Your wish came true :-)

Luke
Luke, I've been thinking about you with this class, because I thought the same thing - that it's like an IROC class, but with each person preparing their own car. I think the racing will be really close. Maybe we can even try Steve's suggestion from some time back and do reverse grids for a second race for even more competition when we race them.
gordon
Site Admin

Post by gordon »

Actually, the real BTCC racing has a reverse grid element. Here are the key rules:

http://www.btcc.net/about/key-rules-and-regulations/

We don't want to get that sophisticated though. Maybe two races for the class on race nights, with first race based on qualifying and second based on either a reverse grid, or on something random like the roll of a dice.
Luke

Post by Luke »

Hello Gordon,

Going over the proposed BTCC racing guidelines - there are 2 points I just can’t seem to figure out ...

1. Interior tray bearing retainers may be removed.

2. Chips may be randomly switched between competing cars.

Thinking of a reason why ... probably not tuning my own slot-cars for SSD competitions sometime now :D

Anyway, balance of regs was pretty straightforward but those 2 instructions - nothing other than just re-reading.

One more separate point - how about a topic BTCC Car Reservations link here ..?

God Bless,

Luke
gordon
Site Admin

Post by gordon »

Luke wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 7:07 am Going over the proposed BTCC racing guidelines - there are 2 points I just can’t seem to figure out ...

1. Interior tray bearing retainers may be removed.

2. Chips may be randomly switched between competing cars.
Item 1 was copied directly from Scalextric's own regs for a special competition with these BTCC cars. It probably should be removed, as it really does not apply to our rules. In their case, the rules for this competition allowed ultra-light interiors for the two heaviest cars and these don't have interior tray bearing retainers, so I guess they allowed this change for the cars using the standard interiors to possibly equalise the weights. They also required that the ultra-light interiors have the original Scalextric driver head fitted.

Item 2 is to ensure that everyone uses standard DPR chips and not the modified ones that allow more power to the motor.
Luke wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 7:07 am One more separate point - how about a topic BTCC Car Reservations link here ..?
Good idea... done!
Luke

Re: Proposed FRC Scalextric BTCC class

Post by Luke »

Hello Gordon,

Noticing some interesting adjustments you made (recently) with proposed racing guidelines.

Hope you don’t mind but this is such a striking pic (posted by you) of a Scalextric C3862 BMW 125i No.100 replica and to the extent ... That I’m totally acquiring instead of the originally suggested (eye catching) C4017 MG6 No.6 model.

There are a few things (a bit lengthy) I would like to mention about this change and will give you a call instead.

God Bless,

Luke